FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE



27/12/13


The inclement weather conditions being experienced since the start of the festive season did not deter holidaymakers from visiting Durban’s warm beaches.



The number of people visiting Durban’s beaches remains high, with approximately 402260 people recorded to have been at various beaches around the City on 25/12/2013 and 26/12/2013. 

This shows an increase of about 120 000 visitors in the same period last year.



Life guards rescued 102 people from near drownings on 25/12/2013 and 26/12/2013.



EThekwini Municipality’s Deputy Head of Parks, Leisure and Cemeteries Department and Chairperson of Festive Season Management Committee (FESMAC), Christo Swart said there were no drownings recorded at our beaches since the beginning of the festive season. 



Three hundred and sixty five children were taken to the Municipality’s Separated Children’s facilities at the beachfront, of those 363 were successfully reunited with their parents and/or guardians. 



The Municipality’s Safer Cities and South African Police Services have been requested to assist in tracing parents of the two remaining children who are yet to be reunited with their parents. 

Swart has again appealed to parents to look after their children to avoid cases of children going missing. 



On arrival at the beach, parents should ensure that their children receive a wrist band on which the contact details of their parents are written. This is to ensure that lost children are easily identified. Irresponsible parents may be criminally charged under the Child Protection Act,” said Swart. 



The Municipality’s Metro Police Spokesperson, Senior Superintendent Eugene Msomi said public transport must drop off passengers and proceed to the allocated parking area at the Drive Inn Site.

He stressed that alcohol should not be brought to the beach and that anyone found with alcohol will be arrested. 



“Since the beginning of the festive season 200 motorists have been arrested for various offences. Road blocks will be intensified throughout the City as we are approaching New Year’s Eve,” said Msomi. 



The Municipality’s bylaws clearly stipulate that detonation of fireworks is only allowed from 23:45 on December 31 until 00:15 on the New Year (01/01/14). It is further recommended that people should not purchase fireworks from illegal traders. Fireworks must also not be aimed at people or animals, as this could lead to serious injuries or death.



There will be firework displays on the 31/12/2013 at the People’s Park: Moses Mabhida Stadium and Sun Coast Casino, and people are encouraged to view these displays. 



Meanwhile, residents and recycling companies are urged not to dispose fireworks and its packaging in orange refuse bags, as this is unsafe and cannot be recycled. Instead they must be disposed in the normal black domestic refuse bags.



-ENDS-



For more information please contact Thabo Mofokeng on 031 311 4820/ 0827317456 or email: Thabo1.Mofokeng@durban.gov.za. 



Issued by the eThekwini Municipality’s Communications Unit. Contact Vuyo Gwala on 031 311 4838/ 0073 250 5704 or email vuyo.gwala@durban.gov.za.